Powered By Blogger

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kittens & Model Ships Don't Match!

Purnelope helping me with my model.
Notice the open spot where she's removed
some of the cannons already.
It's funny to think that when we adopted our solid black little girl, Purrnelope, from the Western Arizona Humane Society, last week, we were concerned she wasn't being social enough.

Well that all changed in the past three days.  Purrnelope spent the first part of the week educating the dogs on just who was in charge.  The size and girth of Walter, our Great Dane, and Sammy, our German Shepherd, didn't faze Purrnalope at all.  Apparently in her cat kingdom, bigger isn't better.  It iactually kind of sad watching these two huge dogs giving her  a wide birth as they slink past her emitting a small, pathetic whimper, as if they know she is calmly waiting to sucker punch them again.

I sat in my recliner laughing last night while our other new kitten PUMA assisted Marcy while she sat trying to do her crafts.  Every small piece of paper that Marcy tried to work with became a new and exciting toy for PUMA.  After an hour of frustration Marcy finally tossed in the towel and gave up.

Well today the shoe is on the other foot as I sat trying to build a model sailing ship, something I enjoy doing.  If you visit our TV room you will find several intricate model ships displayed with sails billowed and rigging taut.  This isn't happening with the new ship.  Today I attempted to glue several very small cannons to the deck of my ship, the first phase of its construction.  Purrnelope immediately appeared and planted herself in the middle of my desk.  As I worked to adhere my minute pieces of cannon to the deck of my ship, Purrnalope performed wind sprints from my lap to my chest to my shoulder and back again.  Then things got worse.  Purrnelope discovered my pile of small cannons.  She liked them.  They were tiny and light and when she batted them they were easy to chase around the room, under the chairs, the dog and the throw rugs.  I spent 20 minutes recovering the dispersed pieces of my model ship.

PUMA, Marcy's craft buddy.
As I returned to my task, having hidden all of my model pieces in my desk drawer, so returned Purrnelope.  She is very smart and calmly waited for me to guilefully retrieve a small cannon and attempt to glue it to the ships deck before sticking her nose in the middle of my work.  "STOP LICKING THE GLUE" became my mantra.  HALT...cease...scat... fell upon little, deaf kitty ears.

Eventually I was able to glue my cannon to the deck of the model ship.  It's not pretty.  The cannons were placed in haste.  Sort of like the guys in the movies trying to quickly perform some mechanical feat before a bomb detonates. 

Purrnelope acting innocent.
As I write this blog the deck of my model ship with cannons glued askew sits on a shelf far above our fire place.  It's the only safe place that Purrnelope couldn't get to.  I'm suppose to attach the hull of the boat next and then start adding the thread rigging.  Don't laugh at me if you come and view my model ships...especially the one with the crooked cannons and missing rigging.  I'm going to tell people the ship lost her rigging in a hurricane named Purrnelope.


No comments:

Post a Comment